New construction of the crematorium of Mainz – General planning
- Establishing a line of cremation for 2000 cremation a year in a single-shift operation
- Optional upgrade to a second line
- Cremation equipment: flat bed furnace with flue gas cleaning in dry absorption process / entrained flow process (according to 27. BImSchV)
- Modern, functional construction building in a heritage protected area Bereich (Gross building volume: 4,940 m³)
Scope of Work:
- Expert report on the possibility of modernizing the existing crematorium
- Demolition of existing buildings (depot)
- General planning of the new construction of the crematorium for the parts of construction, structural engineering and technical equipment of the honorarium; services of all phases included
- Services according to Construction Site Ordinance (BaustellV, SiGeKo)
A comprehensive modernization of the existing crematorium at the main cemetary of the city of Mainz was necessary from a technical and operational perspective, which was not realizable with reasonable effort due to the heritage-listed building envelope. Therefore, a new crematorium was planned at the site of the cemetery gardeners’ depot.
Specific requirements set the sensitive locationof the main cemetery and the vicinity of the building to residential areas.
The new crematorium complies with technical requirements of a modern crematorium. Due to the applied technology the emission levels be certainly less than the emission levels of the 27th BlmschV (Ordinance on large combustion turbines, gas turbines and internal combustion engines). Ceremony room, cooling room, inspection and doctor area, as well as a social room for the staff were designed according to comtemporary standards. Special importance was attached on the integration of an appropriate visitor area with an exposition and a mourning room, as well as a sophisticated architectural design.